I honestly and childishly love to be invited to people’s houses. […] Truly, I love being invited and being fed, because I reliably like knowing my friends remember me, and I reliably get hungry.” -Tamar E. Adler
A friend of mine texted me the other day. She said, “I just had a horrid thought. Are you never going to be able to eat at my house again?!” I chuckled. I wrote back saying that yes, I could eat at her house. We had already eaten at a number of friends’/families’ homes, and all went well. I told her that our hosts ask me for recipe ideas for our menu. I send over three different options, usually AIP (Autoimmune Protocol) or Paleo recipes. We then finalize the menu together. My DH and I bring a dessert. It all works out.
Another method, is when I text over the list of foods I don’t eat. But, that doesn’t always go as well. For instance, my cousins had us over for dinner. So, I texted my information with dinner on my mind. However, I didn’t say anything about not eating refined sugar. My cousins picked some lovely desserts except they did have sugar. My DH and I were okay with not having dessert since we rarely have it anymore, but I understand from a hostess point of view how this bit of information was important.
I decided it would be helpful to have an updated list of the foods I eat and don’t eat. Some of the “don’t eat” items are tucked within ingredient lists. Ingredients lists are eye-openers.
Foods I Do Eat
- Poultry (chicken & turkey)
- Organic grass-fed beef or bison
- Nuts, except peanuts
- Raw honey, good quality maple syrup, molasses
- Basmati Rice and Potatoes
- All spices except paprika
Foods I Do Not Eat
- Gluten (example anything made with flour or wheat)
- Grains, except basmati rice
- All legumes (especially alfalfa, peas), except garbanzo beans, pinto beans
- Refined or processed sugar (cane sugar, beet sugar, high fructose corn syrup, agave nectar, brown rice syrup, and barley malt)
- Nightshade Vegetables (tomatoes, bell peppers, eggplants), except potatoes
- Grain-fed beef
- Tropical Fruits (bananas, pineapples, mangos, papaya) except coconut
If you are reading this post, then you have probably invited us over to share a meal. Thank you so much! We can’t wait! Feel free to ask me any questions.